- September 4, 2020
- Florida Policy Institute
- Alexis Davis
On November 3, voters will have the opportunity to decide whether 2.5 million working Floridians receive a wage increase: Amendment 2 seeks to gradually increase the state minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2026. As with all constitutional amendments, 60 percent of voters must vote in favor of Amendment 2 for it to become law.
Using the minimum wage simulation model developed by Economic Policy Institute, this report finds that by 2026, the proposed $15 minimum wage would:
- increase wages for 2.5 million Floridians, over 26 percent of the workforce;
- help lift households out of poverty;
- bring workers of all ages closer to a living wage;
- benefit Florida’s service sector workers the most; and
- reduce pay inequities experienced by women and people of color.